Friday, January 27, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Friday- Groundhog's Special Secret

What a crazy week this has been! We started out the week with the Chinese New Year! Then yesterday, we celebrated the 100th day of school. And I was sick. As. A. Dog!!!! Oh my goodness you guys, I had the most terrible sore throat on Wednesday night. I had a hunch I shouldn't go to school yesterday so I quick emailed my bestie at school with sub plans.

What would one do without a best friend at school, right?
Are ya with me???

Luckily, my usual suspect of a substitute was available and willing to tackle the 100th day of school with my little firstie buzzers. I had this cute shirt all planned out and then, bam! sore throat hit. Also luckily, I was able to get in to my doctor right away at 8:00am yesterday and she told me I had something bacterial going on. A something closely related to strep, so she put me on a kick bootie antibiotic and I'm feelin' like a champ today!!! Good thing, because I did a LOT of managing these 27 little ones today....

Well, let's get to the perfect picture book, shall we....???

Groundhog's Special Secret
Written by: Iris Hiskey Arno
Illustrated by: Renee Graef
Scholastic Incorporated, 2003, Fiction
Suitable For: ages 5 and up
Themes/Topics: Groundhog's Day, Seasons, being a good friend
Opening: "Lila twirled around and around in the candlelit den. On the wall, her shadow spun like a whirling top.
"Time for all groundhogs to be in bed!" Papa called.
"But I'm not tired!" Lila cried. "I can't possibly sleep all the way until spring!"
"Now, Lila," Mama said, "everyone else is in bed and Uncle Wilbur is about to head for his den."

Brief Synopsis: Lila doesn't want to go to sleep because she is not tired. Uncle Wilbur challenges her to be the first one awake, but when she does wake, Uncle Wilbur tells her to go back to sleep for a few minutes. But instead, Lila goes above ground!

Links to Resources: There are some WAY cute craftivities out in bloggy world right now having to do with Groundhog's Day! Check out this burrowing activity, craft and writing from Cara at The First Grade Parade. I love the Smartboard lesson to introduce it. I'm so doing this on Tuesday or Wednesday next week!
There's also these way cute activities from Mrs. Cupcake over at A Cupcake for the Teacher. I can't wait to share in the fun with my little buzzers next week, too! I know there are MANY more on TPT or TN so go check that out, too! Oh! And don't forget to show your kiddos LIVE footage of the groundhog actually seeing or not seeing his shadow next Thursday, too. They LOVE that!

Why I Like This Book: I love this book because it is a fun way to introduce Groundhog's Day to those little ones that HAVE NEVER heard of it, or so they say. :) It's a cute little tale that kids can relate to--the-not-wanting-to-go-to-bed-and-the-waking-up-early-with-excitement thing of course.

For more perfect picture books with resources, or join in the fun, please click here!

Have a GRRREAT weekend!
Marcy

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a cute book that a lot of kids can relate to. Like your resources and activities as they sound like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I had that darn sore throat yesterday and today. I think everything possible is going around. We had 12 kids puke in their classrooms, the hallway, or the restroom in our school today! Yikes. Hope you are feeling better.

    www.mrswheelerfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely have to read this one as I am unusually fond of Groundhog Day books :) I have seen Substitute Groundhog and Gretchen Groundhog It's Your Day along with Punxsutawney Phyllis (of course :)) but I am not familiar with this one. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect for Ground Hog's Day! Thanks for adding it to the list. It looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do you use for writing lessons? My school does not have something school wide for writing and is looking for ideas. Check out my blog for this post at http://petersonsprimarypeeps.blogspot.com/

    Thank you for your help
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, glad I found you. Great recommendation...I see you are a runner too. Come on over and visit me, I'm new to blogging and teach first. :o)
    ~ Vicky
    Traditions Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning, Jsut wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for the Top 10 Blog Award. Come stop by my blog and check it out.
    Barbara
    happyteachingfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found you via Fifth in the Middle's state blog link up. It's so great to find another SD person! I'm your newest follower and would love to learn more about you! Feel free to e-mail me at hojostptstore@yahoo.com if you get a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete